The main directories in Tomcat tree under
- bin -- normally, when you download the binary
tar Tomact distribution, this directory contains a lot of various scripts.
The RPMs do not have this stuff which is probably an "ommission".
You probably should download the binary tar distribution and copy these
scripts to this directory.
- classes -- classes to be used by web applications
but not TOMCAT.
- lib -- JAR files with classes to be used by
web applications but not TOMCAT.
- common -- classes (in
classes) and JAR files
(in lib) which are available both to TOMCAT engine
(Catalina) and web applications.
- conf -- configuration files.
- logs -- where the logs are.
- jasper -- JAR files visible only by
Jasper (JSP compiler).
- server -- classes and JAR files for TOMCAT
engine (CATALINA) only.
- webapps -- Web applications
- work -- Scratch directory where Tomcat keeps
Java source derived from JSP, and compiled classes for servlets.