CCL: Stereo 3D Displays & Equipment
- From: "Warren DeLano" <warren:_:delsci.com>
- Subject: CCL: Stereo 3D Displays & Equipment
- Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:58:48 -0700
Sent to CCL by: "Warren DeLano" [warren\a/delsci.com]
Here is some current information for those of you ordering yourself a
new "Quad" Quadro-based Mac for doing Stereo 3D visualization. You
need a good CRT display, a stereo signal emitter, and shutter glasses.
Stereo 3D glasses & emitters:
- More expensive: StereoGraphics
- Less expensive: NuVision3D
Thanks to LCD dominance, it is getting mucher harder to find a good CRT
display. You may need to hunt around a bit or buy "pre-owned".
The critical monitor specifications for Stereo 3D are:
- Must be a CRT (not an LCD).
- Should be as big as you can afford (20-22").
- HD15 VGA input (DVI is very rare).
- Vertical refresh must be at least 120 Hz.
- Horizontal sync frequency must be at least 130 kHz (ideally 140 kHz).
Note that the last point is CRITICAL. Do not buy a CRT monitor for
stereo 3D until you have confired that it can do a horizontal sync of at
least 130 kHz. Beware of consumer monitors have horizontal sync limits
of 80-120 kHz and thus cannot do stereo well.
Good stereo-capable CRT displays that are still available NEW:
- Philips 202P73
- Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 / HM204DT
Good discontinued stereo-capable displays (buy USED on eBay, etc.):
- IBM ThinkVision C220p
- HP p1230 CRT Monitor (P9613W)
- DELL p1230
- Sony GDM-C520K
- NEC FP2141SB-BK
- NEC-Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB-BK
- Sun X7149A
- ViewSonic, P225FB (H-sync: 127 kHz - good for 1280x960 ]^[ ~110 Hz)
- Samsung SyncMaster 1100 DF (H-sync: 121 kHz)
- Sun X7149A (H-sync: 121 kHz)
- ViewSonic G220f/fb, G810, G90f/fb
- Philips 201B40, 201B45
- NEC Accusync 120
- Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB
- Samsung SyncMaster 1000 P, 997DF/997MB
See: http://monitors.alege.net for info on tons of monitors, old
Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.
. DeLano Scientific LLC
. 400 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
. South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
. Biz:(650)-872-0942 Tech:(650)-872-0834
. Fax:(650)-872-0273 Cell:(650)-346-1154