We started to experiment with various approaches to Code Information
Server, and actually collected a substantial database of methods and
made some preliminary attempts to standardize on methods names and
XML tags to be used in describing software functionality.
We also made a first pass on deciding which functionality should be
provided as JSP Tag Libraries, and which should be put into utility classes
or JavaBeans. This would greatly facilitate development of interfaces for
new software packages.
Unfortunately, the funding for this project was discontinued,
and we were explicitly asked to abandon it and work on other projects
with greater priority. At the same time, we probably learned a lot in the
process, and could now use this insight and experience to incorporate
recently introduced technologies, namely: Web Services, on one hand,
and Filters, Events, and extension to session object introduced with
the Servlet Specification 2.3.