QSAR - Bartfai quote

From: Dick Cramer <cramer===tripos.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:46:24 -0600

The following direct quote, apparently originating from Scripps Institute,
is being greeted with considerable (and I believe completely justified)
skepticism in a Web discussion today:

'While there are around 10,300 FDA-approved drugs in the United States
today, most of these are made up of some combination of only 433 distinct
molecules. Acetaminophen, for instance, is an ingredient in hundreds of
separate drugs. Half of the 433 were approved before 1938, and at least 50
are "me too" drugs, a slightly modified form of compound already on the
market. Finally, there are only eight major, chemical "scaffolds" upon which
all the 433 molecules are based.'

I would suggest that the Scripps Institute and/or Professor Bartfai
investigate, and if possible document, these startling assertions.

Richard D. Cramer
Chief Scientific Officer
Tripos, Inc.