RE: QSAR - FW: Bartfai quote

From: Roger LAHANA <rlahana|,|nimes.syntem.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:05:56 +0100

> My guess
> is that their PR department added some 'facts' of their own,

I agree with Dick, this looks very much like a re-writing by a PR department! I would not be surprised if Bartfai had actually stated that all these approved drugs are represented by 433 *scaffolds* (not *molecules*), but I'm afraid the term of 'scaffold' is hardly understandable to non experts of the field.
If so, that would not be a big surprise: maybe some of you still have in mind this paper by Mark Murcko & al in DDT some years ago showing that the top 1000 drugs were based on only 32 scaffolds.
Well, I guess this PR department would be even more fascinated to realise that all these 10,000 drugs are all based on only 10 to 12 atomic types :-)....

Roger

Dr Roger Lahana
Vice President Discovery
Syntem