QSAR - Moneyball

From: Dick Cramer <cramer_-_tripos.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 11:24:39 -0500

... is a just-out book by Michael Lewis (NY Times reporter, "Liars' Poker",
"The New New Thing") on the competitive successes of the very low budget
Oakland Athletics baseball team. It is receiving a lot of well-deserved
publicity and professional notice, including excerption in Sports
Illustrated and review in Newsweek, and is reportedly amazon.com's #10
bestseller.

It contains a few pages about related stuff I did ten+ years ago, mostly
involving a company called STATS (www.stats.com). One reason for mentioning
this is that casual encounter with this book might produce erroneous
inferences about our family finances -- it was actually my one-time partner
John Dewan who wound up with most all the money!

Another emerging book, "Infomesa" by Ed Rigel ("Who got Einstein's Office"),
details the scientists/entrepreneurs-with-computers scene here in Santa Fe.
Its central figure is our good friend Dave Weininger. I have been able only
to skim a pre-publication copy.

Dick Cramer