Re: QSAR - Rank order of activity data

From: L. Mark Hall <halllm:+:attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:25:46 -0400

Jim,

The simplest solution is to z-score the activity data [ (y-x)/s ]. This gives a continuous function so the, "binning issue is not a problem", but this is not going to alter the rank-ordering of the drugs from the order in the simple sort.

Perhaps some expansion concerning the information you hope to extract from the modified data that is not available from a sorted list would be of some help. Is your concern only that experimental variation may not indicate the same rank order for each measurement, or are there additional issues that you hope to resolve?

Are you attempting to derive a classification scheme for the activity in question or are you only interested in order of activity issues among the drugs in your dataset?

L. Mark Hall
Hall Associates Consulting