QSAR - Job Opportunity

From: McKinney, Mary <"McKinney,>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:41:50 -0500

Lexicon Pharmaceuticals has an exciting opportunity for a head of
Computational Chemistry in the Hopewell, N.J. area.

 Lexicon is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery of
breakthrough treatments for human disease. To generate our discoveries, we
use our patented gene targeting and gene trapping technologies to alter the
DNA of specific genes in mouse embryonic stem cells. These unique cells are
cloned to create in vivo mammalian models of drug target function enabling
the discovery of pharmaceutically valuable proteins and drug targets. These
gene function discoveries fuel our drug discovery programs in cardiology,
diabetes, oncology, immunology and neurology. Our industrialized biology
function operates out of our Woodlands, Texas campus.

Our medicinal chemistry technology is housed in a state-of-the-art 76,000
square foot facility in Hopewell, New Jersey, which is located in close
proximity to many major pharmaceutical companies. Our lead optimization
chemistry groups are organized around specific discovery targets and work
closely with their pharmaceutical biology counterparts in our facilities in
The Woodlands, Texas. The medicinal chemists optimize lead compounds in
order to select clinical candidates with the desired absorption,
distribution, metabolism, excretion and physicochemical characteristics. We
have the capability to profile our compounds using the same battery of in
vivo assays that we use to characterize our drug discovery targets. This
provides us with valuable detailed information relevant to the selection of
the highest quality compounds for clinical development.
We are currently recruiting for a proven computational chemist to build a
cutting edge modeling and computational chemistry effort to support the drug
discovery efforts of a department of approximately 50 chemists at Lexicon
Pharmaceuticals in Princeton, NJ. In addition to expertise in modeling and
computational technologies, the successful candidate will have the capacity
to work independently within a highly focused team environment and
demonstrate leadership, creativity and adaptability in their scientific
work. This position requires a high degree of focus on scientific results,
innovation, and team spirit coupled with strong organizational skills. Job
objectives include the definition and acquisition of appropriate modeling
software to support medicinal chemistry, the creation of pharmacophore,
homology, QSAR and other empirical models and scientific interaction with
experienced medicinal chemistry teams to generate structural hypotheses from
project data. Several projects will also require accessing and manipulating
crystallographic data, ligand docking to active sites and homology modeling.

Qualified candidates must possess the following:
* Ph.D. in Chemistry
* 5 years of experience in drug discovery working with medicinal
chemistry teams in a multidisciplinary project environment and must possess
a demonstrated ability to provide scientific leadership on a day-to-day
basis.
As an employee of Lexicon, you will have the opportunity to make
significant, personal contributions to the growth and development of the
Company. In return, Lexicon is dedicated to providing its employees with
opportunities for career development, exciting research assignments and a
comprehensive benefits program that is part of a progressive compensation
package.
Interested candidates may email a resume to: marym-$-lexgen.com.
Lexicon Genetics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

Mary K.D. McKinney

 The contents of this communication are intended only for the addressee and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the
intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this
communication and notify the sender. Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this communication that do not relate to the official
business of my company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it.