Re: QSAR - QSAR: Published correlations of animal versus human PK data for numerouscompounds ?

From: Bob Clark <bclark]_[tripos.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:48:20 -0500

Jim,

For bioavailabilities, try W.E. Sietsema, Intl. J. Clin. Pharmacol. Therapy
Toxicol. 1989, 27, 179-211. He has a good compilation of carefully curated data
showing that he correlation here is pretty poor in general - best for rats, as I
recall. More importantly, he discusses the underlying physiological differences
that account for the discrepancy.

It seems to me that for bioavailability, animal data is useful for validating
methods for constructing models, but generally not for training models intended
for predicting human PK behavior.

Bob C.