Re: QSAR - conformation vs conformer

From: Simonyi Miklós <msimonyi|-|chemres.hu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:09:46 +0100

Hi All,

A "conformation" transient in solution may become a "conformer" in
adsorbed (protein-bound, receptor-bound) state. Hence, the
"biologically active conformation" is in common usage. The stability of
a conformer is not necessarily an intramolecular matter but can
originate from the environment through non-covalent intermolecular
interactions (cf The Concept of Chiral Conformers and its Significance
in Molecular Pharmacology, In Advances in Drug Research Academic Press,
Vol 30, pp 73-110, 1997).

Miklós Simonyi