RE: QSAR - sensitivity to atomic charge models?

From: Mark Earll <mark.earll{:}umetrics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:24:08 +0100

Dear Jim,

This is a very interesting and important question which becomes more
pertinent with the increased availability and diversity of modelling
software!

Regarding the second part of your post, I often use Principal Components
Analysis to detect sensitivity to different ways of calculating molecular
descriptors. This is also useful in cases where different tautomers exist
etc. Observing the change in position in scores space then allows you to
assess whether the difference is significant in the "grand scheme of
things". By looking for the 'latent variables' in this way models are more
stable than making decisions based on individual variables which may in
themselves be subject to large errors. The idea is to take the contribution
of the regularities in the data (from the correlation in many variables) and
leave behind the 'noise'.

The differently calculated variables themselves may be included in the same
model, or two different models and the effects observed in the loadings
plots. Any changes in correlation structure can then be assessed and
interpreted. If large changes are seen then it is cause for investigation,
if the models and variables are insensitive to the method of calculation
then there is less cause for alarm. Interpreting the models can then focus
attention on the influential and sensitive variables. This is akin to a 'QC
check' for modelling parameters.

I would be interested to hear how other QSAR members assess the effects of
variation in descriptors,

Best regards,

Mark
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Earll CChem MRSC Umetrics
Senior Consultant (Scientific Data Analysis)
Umetrics UK Ltd
Woodside House, Woodside Road,
Winkfield, Windsor, SL4 2DX

Phone: 01344 885615 Mobile: 07765 402673
Email: mark.earll/./umetrics.co.uk
Fax: 01344 885410
Web: http://www.umetrics.com <http://www.umetrics.com/>