Subject: Chemical MIME type Examples

From: [email-masked] (Rzepa,Henry) (Rzepa,Henry)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 15:30:14 +0100

Announcing two Web pages illustrating the application of Chemical MIME
___________________________________________________________

As part of a program to illustrate how "live" chemistry can be exported on
the Internet, we have considerably extended our "mime" action page. Connect to;

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/chemical_mime.html or
http://chem.leeds.ac.uk/Project/MIME.html

Here we have put hyperlinks into a number of files in various formats such
as pdb,
MOPAC and Gaussian and suggested helper programs that can read these files
and visualise them.

We illustrate the use of RasMol, XMol and Explorer EyeChem. The latter suite
was written by Omer Casher, and provides a set of modular tools to visualise
molecular properties. We show how a MOPAC FORCE calculation can be read
and animated, how a Gaussian G92 optimisation can be animated, how a pdb
file can be ribbon rendered and how a collaborative
visualisation involving two separate sites can be achieved.
Many other permutations of the  EyeChem modules are possible, and a
few more will appear over the next few days.

All three programs are freely distributable, and can
be downloaded from ftp archives. Hyperlinks to do this are built into the
pages. The EyeChem modules were first released
on the IRIX 5.2 CD-ROM installation set, but updated versions are available from
our ftp server, along with scripts and installation instructions. You will
need to
use an SGI machine running Irix 5.2 and Explorer 2.2 to use EyeChem.

If anyone wishes to put up similar examples of chemical MIME in action,
perhaps illustrating a different set of files (see
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/internet/
for the chemical MIME Internet draft) please let us know so that we can
link to them.
 If other helper  programs have been used, we would also be interested
(initially, we would prefer "free" programs that can be downloaded by users
 from ftp archives).

Contact [email-masked],  [email-masked] or [email-masked]
for further details.