Subject: On-Line Academic Chemistry Employment Clearinghouse Now Available

From: [email-masked] (Steven Bachrach)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 08:58:11 -0500

On-Line Academic Chemistry Employment Clearinghouse

                     Sponsored by the 
Northern Illinois University Chemistry Gopher and Web Sites

With the increasing difficulty in locating employment in the chemistry 
community, we wish to announce a new facility to aid in the search for 
jobs in the academic chemical community. The Northern Illinois University 
Chemistry Gopher and Web sites, sponsored by a pilot grant from the 
Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation, is now operating an academic 
employment clearinghouse on the Internet. Access to this clearinghouse is 
open to all, without charge, using the gopher or world-wide web navigation 
systems. This service will list employment opportunities in the chemical 
academic community, including jobs at the professor, instructor, post-
doctoral, and graduate research assistant levels. Employment opportunities 
will be broken down into five categories (disciplines): analytical, 
inorganic, organic and physical chemistry and biochemistry.

How to access the Clearinghouse
-------------------------------

To access the clearinghouse, you must have Internet access and either a 
gopher or web client. Access via gopher can be obtained by pointing your 
gopher client at hackberry.chem.niu.edu port 70. Access via the web is 
through URL:  http://hackberry.chem.niu.edu:70/0/webpage.html

(Please note that right now there are only three jobs posted and it
will take some time for institutions to start to submit their ads.)

How to Submit an Entry to the Clearinghouse
-------------------------------------------

Submission of a job listing is accomplished by electronic mail. The ad 
must be sent to 

	[email-masked]

and the Subject: line must have the following format

	Subject: discipline institution name

where discipline is ANALYTICAL, BIOCHEM, INORGANIC, ORGANIC, or PHYSICAL 
(note that these terms do not have to been in caps) and the institution 
name is whatever name you wish to use as the heading of your listing. An 
example subject line is:
 
	Subject: organic StarFleet Academy - Assistant Professor

The listings will be ordered alphabetically by institution name. The body 
of the message is format free and you may include as much detailed 
information you wish. Keep in mind that while this service is offered at 
NO CHARGE, very long files can lead to problems with maintenance of the 
service. An institution may submit more than one ad. Institutions are 
encouraged to place separate entries for every position offered. Listings 
will be maintained for 45 days and then automatically deleted. Once the 
file is deleted, feel free to resubmit the ad if the position is not yet 
filled. 

Once a listing is received, a return message will be sent to confirm the 
transmission. Entries will be added to the directories at midnight (CST) 
every day.

Questions and Comments
----------------------

Please direct all questions and comments to [email-masked]. 

This is an experimental server and we are very pleased to welcome all 
suggestions for improvements! (For example, if the academic clearinghouse 
proves successful, we will open this up to industrial and government 
employment opportunities.) 

Steven Bachrach				
Department of Chemistry
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, Il 60115			Phone: (815)753-6863
[email-masked]			Fax:   (815)753-4802