Subject: Re: CCL:More Software/Databases for Review

From: "BERT HOVELING" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 14:40:23 EST-10

Date:          26 Jul 94 09:19:00 EDT
From:          "STEPHEN R. HELLER" <[email-masked]>
Subject:       CCL:More Software/Databases for Review
To:            "chemed-l" <[email-masked]>
Cc:            "chminf-l" <[email-masked]>,
               "chemistry" <[email-masked]>,
               "orgchem" <[email-masked]>

26 July, 1994

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.  Since I sent a note out
yesterday two additional packages have arrived.
I am looking for someone who is willing to review these
software/databases products.  In return for the review you get to
keep the software.  The review should be completed in 1-3 months. 
The length of the review is 4-10 double spaced typed pages. 
Sample reviews can be found in most of the recent issues of
JCICS.

     Please try to give me some (short) reason to choose you over
another person. DO NOT SAY YOU WILL REVIEW ANYTHING I HAVE
AVAILABLE. Messages with such replies are trashed!

     I have tried this approach for about the past three years
and it is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who
haven't finished your reviews of software sent months and months
ago, this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I
am continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I reserve the right to abandon this if
it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify people if I
have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within a few
days I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

     As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message,
please do not respond after 27 July, 1994 (Wednesday), as I am
sure the software will be gone by then.

     I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked]).

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS, PHONE, and 
FAX
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)  Without
this information I WILL NOT consider your request.

     Steve Heller

The two additional packages I now have are from Megalon:

1. ChemStructure for Windows. It is a structure drawing program.

2. Compounds for Windows.  A database of about 27,000 organic
compounds with some two dozen types of numeric and spectral data
associated with each compound.

---Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail 
exploder:
[email-masked] -- everyone     | 
[email-masked] -- coordinator
[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY  | Gopher: www.ccl.net 
73
Anon. ftp www.ccl.net     | [email-masked] -- 
archive search
http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html |     for info send: HELP SEARCH to 
MAILSERV

Hi Steve,
You probably don't remember me, Bert Hoveling, from Melbourne, 
Australia. I did 4 months with Bill Milne at NIH in 1976.
I would be interested in this project you are involve in, if i can be of any 
help.  I am also interested in anything  else of interest in Chemical 
Information Systems, particularly relating to the hypertext protocol on 
Mosaic etc. 
Sorry to hear you are not well, and hope you improve soon.
Could you please let me know what Bill is up to, and his E-mail 
address, if that's O.K.
All the best, and I wish you well.
Regards,
Bert. 
Dr.A.W.(Bert) Hoveling
Department of Applied Chemistry,
R.M.I.T.
124 La Trobe Street Melbourne,
Victoria, Australia, 3001

Phone:     (03) 660-2117
Facsimile: (03) 639-1321
E mail:    [email-masked]