Subject: International Molecular Design conference (second notice)

From: "Dr. Dave Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 95 15:01:36 EST

M O L E C U L A R   D E S I G N   D O W N   U N D E R

                     AUGUST 27 - SEPTEMBER 1 1995

                       CAIRNS INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, 
                  CAIRNS, NORTH QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

This meeting is the 14th Annual Conference of the Molecular Graphics and 
Modelling Society (MGMS) presented in 1995 in conjunction with the 12th 
Conference of the Medicinal and Agricultural Chemistry Division of the Royal 
Australian Chemical Institute (RACI). Note that the venue has changed from the 
earlier posting due to a larger than anticipate response.

SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM
------------------

The program consists of sessions covering five technology areas and five target 
areas:

Chemical Similarity  and Biological Diversity
---------------------------------------------
Keynote Speaker:   Dr. Jeffery Blaney, Chiron Corporation, USA

Macromolecular Assemblies: the Supermodels of Molecular Design
--------------------------------------------------------------
Keynote speaker:   Dr. Phoebe Stewart, UCLA, USA

Neural Nets and Fuzzy Sets
--------------------------
Keynote speakers:  Dr. David Livingston, Consultant, UK
                   Dr. Gerry Maggiora, Upjohn Pharmaceuticals, USA

Molecular Recognition
---------------------
Keynote speakers:  Dr. Barry Honig, Columbia University, USA
                   Dr. Regine Bohacek, Ciba-Geigy, USA

Molecular Dynamics:  Deciphering the Data
-----------------------------------------
Keynote Speaker:   Dr. David Osguthorpe, University of Bath, UK

Harnessing the Potential of Natural Products
--------------------------------------------
Keynote speaker:   Dr. Joe Baker, Australian Institute of Marine Science, 
                   Australia

The Future of Peptidomimetics
-----------------------------
Keynote speaker:   Prof. Garland Marshall, Washington University, USA

Glycoproteins and Glycobiology- New Wave Pharmaceuticals
--------------------------------------------------------
Keynote Speaker:   Dr. Peter Colman, Biomolecular Research Institute, Australia

Focus on Australian Biomolecular Design and Development- Medicinal Targets
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keynote Speaker:   Prof. Graham Johnston, University of Sydney, Australia

Focus on Australian Biomolecular Design and Development- Agricultural Targets
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keynote Speaker:   Dr. George Holan, CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers
                   Australia

CONFERENCE PROGRAM

All sessions and functions will be held at the Cairns International Hotel 
beginning with the Welcoming Cocktail Party on Sunday evening and concluding 
Friday lunchtime.  A Cruise to the Great Barrier Reef has been organized on 
Wednesday to be followed by a barbeque dinner in the evening.  The Conference 
Dinner will be held on Thursday evening.

The conference program includes oral and poster sessions.  Oral papers will be 
presented in plenary sessions during the day.  The Organizing Committee will 
select abstracts for oral presentation from the abstracts submitted with the 
registration form.  Poster presentations are a major component of the scientific 
program with poster sessions on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARATION OF ABSTRACTS AND POSTERS

Abstracts must be prepared for all presentations, both oral and poster.  The 
original must reach the Conference Secretariat by May 15 for inclusion in the 
book of Abstracts that will be provided at the meeting.  Two (2) camera-ready 
hard copies of the abstract should also be provided in the following style:

-  printed on one side of A4 bond white paper
-  12pt Helvetica
-  3cm margin on all sides
-  title in upper case
-  author(s) (full name) with presenting author indicated by *
-  the addresses of the authors
-  a single blank line should follow after the title, the authors' list and 
   authors' addresses
-  full abstract in single spaced text

All abstracts for oral presentation will be refereed.  Successful presenters 
will be notified by June 15.  Abstracts received after the May 15 deadline will 
not be considered.

ADVICE TO SPEAKERS

Audiovisual facilities will include dual standard 35mm slide projection, video 
and computer projection, overhead transparency projections and white boards. 
Speakers with other needs should contact the Conference Secretariat as soon as 
possible.

POSTERS

Posters will be presented on vertical, velcro-compatible panels 1 metre wide by 
2.4 metres high.  Posters may be viewed during the day but presenters will 
attend their poster during the assigned poster sessions on Monday, Tuesday and 
Wednesday evenings.

REGISTRATION

A registration form follows.  Please complete the form and return  along with 
your abstract and appropriate payment to the Conference Secretariat by May 15.

Full registration entitles participants to the book of Abstracts, attendance at 
all sessions including the Sunday Welcoming Cocktail Party.  The Wednesday 
evening BBQ and all morning and afternoon teas are also included.  There are no 
single day registrations.

Registration Fees  (all prices are in Australian dollars: $1 = US$0.75)
-----------------

Members (MGMS and RACI)                    $440
Non-members                                $520
Students                                   $220
Late fee after May 15                      $80
Conference dinner (Thursday)               $50

Students are advised that they must complete the student section of the 
registration form to qualify for student rate.  No registration fee will be 
charged for accompanying persons.

STUDENT BURSARIES

The MGMS provides financial assistance to students.  Plese contact Dr. Mike 
Hann, Glaxo Research and Development ([email-masked]) before March 30 for 
details.

The RACI is providing assistance for Australian students which includes free 
accomodation in Cairns and, if funds are available, some assistance with travel 
costs.  For further details contact Prof. Peter Andrews, Centre for Drug Design 
and Development, University of Queensland ([email-masked]).

CONFERENCE VENUE AND ACCOMODATION INFORMATION

Sessions will be held in the Grand Ballroon of the Cairns International Hotel 
and poster sessions will be in the exhibition area and foyer outside exhibition 
area.  A limited amount of accomodation has been reserved at this 5-star hotel 
for the conference.  Check in is from 3pm.

Cost:  $175 per room, per night (max 2 adults/room)

Block bookings have also been made at 4 other Cairns hotels:

Reef Plaza:       $115 per night, per room  (4 min walk to conference venue)

Rainbow palms:    $115 per night, per room  (20 min walk to conference venue)

Rainbow Inn:      $115 per night, per room  (20 min walk to conference venue)

Uptop Downunder:  $45 per night, per room (max 4 adults/room)  (10 min walk to 
                  conference venue)

The above accomodation prices are room only.

Delegates will allocated their choice of room on a first come first served 
basis.

This is the peak season in Cairns and there are extremely heavy demands on 
accomodation in the city.  Delegates are requested to pay a deposit by May 15 to 
secure accomodation.  The above rates are only for conference attendees and 
their partners and are only available if booked through the registration form.

TIMETABLE OF DEADLINES

Student bursary applications      30 March
Last day for early registration   15 May
Submission of abstracts           15 May
Last day for cancellations        30 July
Opening of conference             27 August

ADVICE FOR VISITORS

Average temperature in North Queensland in late August is 21 C.  Dress is 
usually light and casual.  Hats, sunglasses and 15+ sunscreen are strongly 
recommended for protection from the sun.

A valid passport with visa is required for entry into Australia by all visitors 
except New Zealanders.

A variety of tours are available for accompanying persons.

The official language of the conference is English.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

                     R E G I S T R A T I O N   F O R M

1. DELEGATE NAME AND ADDRESS DETAILS

Name ____________________________________________________________________
      Surname                         Title   First name

Position _________________________________________________________________

Organization ______________________________________________________________

Postal Address ____________________________________________________________

               ____________________________________________________________
        
               ____________________________________________________________
               State/province     Postcode         Country

Telephone   Work __________________________  Home ________________________

Fax              __________________________  Email ________________________

Indicate membership         MGMS ____      RACI ____

Preferred name for badge ______________________  Surname: __________________

Name of accompanying person (if badge required) ____________________________

Special dietary requirements ________________________________________________

2. ACCOMODATION REQUIRED       __ YES       __ NO

Please indicate your choice of hotel and room type

Cairns Internat Hotel __  Reef Plaza __     Reef Inn __      Uptop Downunder __
  $175/room/night         $115/room/night   $115/room/night  $45/room/night

Max 2 adults/room except Uptop Downunder which is 4/room

Room type    SINGLE __     TWIN SHARE __    DOUBLE __   4 SHARE __

Sharing with (if applicable) ________________________________________________

Arrival date _______ Aug 1995      Estimated arrival time  ______________

Number of nights accomodation required _______  Estimated departure date _____

NOTE:  Rooms will not be held after 6pm on arrival date unless hotel advised

3.  ABSTRACTS

I wish to submit and abstract    __ YES    __ NO

I would be prepared to make an oral presentation if selected  __ YES   __ NO

Abstracts for all presentations should be submitted with this registration form

4. DELEGATE REGISTRATION

                     Registration    After 15 May

MGMS/RACI Members        $440            $520             $ ___________

Non-members              $520            $600             $ ___________

Students                 $220            $300             $ ___________

Accomodation deposit (rate for 1 night)                   $ ___________

Conference dinner (31 August)   _____ tickets @ $50       $ ___________

Reef Cruise (30 August)         _____ tickets @ $110      $ ___________

(I am/am not interested in an introductory dive/certified dive)

Extra tickets for accompanying persons only (free for registrants)

Welcoming cocktail party (27 August)  ____ tickets @ $25  $ ___________

Tropical BBQ (30 August)              ____ tickets @ $25  $ ___________

TOTAL PAYMENT ENCLOSED                                    $ ___________

Please note that registrants after 15 May may not be supplied with satchels and 
abstract books

Payment to be made in Australian dollars by cheque or money order  drawn on an 
Australian bank, PAYABLE TO:  "Molecular Design Down Under Conference"  and 
mailed to arrive at the following address by 15 May 1995

     Molecular Design Down Under Conference     Phone   +61 7 369 7866
     c/o Organizers Australia                   Fax     +61 7 367 1471
     PO Box 1237
     MILTON QLD AUSTRALIA  4064

Send email via Ruth Drinkwater, Centre for Drug Design and Development, 
University of Queensland ([email-masked])

5.  STUDENT REGISTRATION

I certify I am currently enrolled as a full-time student at ___________________

_______________________________ for a _________________________ degree course.

                                         Signature     ________________________

Supervisor's information

Name    ___________________________________________________

Address ___________________________________________________

        ___________________________________________________

Phone   _____________________________  Fax ___________________________

Email   _____________________________

                                  Supervisor's signature ______________________

The student accomodation to be provided by the RACI will be at "Uptop Downunder"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,

Dave
__________________________________________________________________________

   Dr. David A. Winkler                        Voice: 61-3-542-2244      
   Principal Research Scientist                Fax:   61-3-543-8160      
   CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers
   Private Bag 10       
   Clayton, Australia.

   "Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans"