Subject: CCL:Spelling of v(V?)an der Waals('?)

From: Patrick Bultinck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 10:36:04 +0100 (MET)

Van der Waals.

In Belgium (northern Dutch speaking part) we do use capitals for the 
first letter ! (contrary to an earlier post by somebody from South 
Africa).
Looking at the phonebook of my lab here I see e.g. :

Van Driessche
Van Eename
Van der Kelen
Van de Vondel
Van Thuyne etc. etc.

I always use the term Van der Waals radii written with capital V !
I happen to be reading in a book by I and M Hatgittai on symmetry, and I 
see e.g. on page 114 the term van der Waals radii, and on p.115 Van 
der Waals radii... I believe that it should be Van der Waals radii, I see 
no reason to start changing peoples names when used as an adjective, so 
Van der Waals radii.

Patrick