Subject: news release

From: [email-masked] (Faith Short)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:46:23 -0500

please distribute this release to your chemistry list.

chminf-l
chem-comp
chem-mod
cheme-l
chemistry

thank you.

New CTC Corporate Partner to Parallelize Quantum Chemistry Software Suite

For Immediate Release
February 7, 1996

Ithaca, NY-Schrödinger, Inc., of Pasadena, California, has joined the
Cornell Theory Center's (CTC) Corporate Partnership Program to develop a
parallelized version of its quantum chemistry software suite for scalable
computing architectures.

"Access to the Theory Center's corporate program will help Schrödinger
deliver a parallelized version of PS-GVB quantum chemistry software to the
U.S. research community faster and more efficiently," explained Schrödinger
president, Murco Ringnalda. "Researchers in both industry and education are
excited about the prospect of seeing the duration of their quantum
chemistry calculations reduced from one week to less than one day."

Timely and accurate calculations of realistic molecular systems require
fast computer execution speeds and highly efficient software. Scalably
parallel computing architectures, such as the IBM RS/6000 SP, use
standardized components that are designed to maintain performance as they
scale from a few to dozens or even hundreds of processors.

Schrödinger is committed to the development of highly refined and efficient
software to solve electronic structure problems. In recent years,
Schrödinger has developed new approaches to solving ab initio electronic
structure equations that involve pseudospectral methods. These new
algorithms are now available in Schrödinger's PS-GVB software suite.

"The Cornell Theory Center is eager to accelerate the development of robust
parallel applications for the high performance computing market,"
emphasized Peter M. Siegel, director of the Corporate Partnership Program.
"Our partnership with Schrödinger is an important example of our work with
software developers; other software partners and users include ADAPCO,
BIOSYM, Candle Corporation, GrammaTech, MathWorks, and Ronin Systems."
Companies interested in accessing CTC's IBM and Silicon Graphics computing
environment should contact Paul Redfern at [email-masked] for more
information.

CTC, one of four high performance computing and communications centers
supported by the National Science Foundation, operates the world's largest
IBM SP system. Activities of CTC are also funded by New York State, the
Advanced Research Projects Agency, the National Center for Research
Resources at the National Institutes of Health, IBM, and other members of
CTC's Corporate Partnership Program.

For more information, contact Linda Callahan, Director of External
Relations, Cornell Theory Center:

e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: 607-254-8610
fax: 607-254-8888
http://www.tc.cornell.edu/

For information about Schrödinger, Inc., contact Murco Ringnalda:

e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: 818-568-9392 or 800-20-PS-GVB
fax: 818-568-9778
http://www.psgvb.com

-30-