Subject: Re: CCL:IRIX 6.2 and R10000

From: Joseph Landman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:01:41 -0800 (PST)

Wendy:

   Yes my modeling programs work.  The issue is a coff type binary or an
elf type binary.  Coff binaries are no longer supported as of 6.2.  You
can check to see if they are coff or elf by typing  

  file name_of _executable

  This will report the binary type.

Moreover, with 6.2, you have access to the better MIPSpro compilers which
generate much better code than the older compilers.  The R10k desktop ran
my molecular dynamics code at 20 seconds per time step as compared to an
older R8k desktop at 50 seconds per time step.  The R10k is an extremely
fast MD platform from my perspective.

Joe

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Wendy W. Richardson wrote:

->
->
->
->We are about to upgrade one of our workstations to an R10000 processor,
->with the corresponding upgrade to IRIX 6.2.  The guy from SGI said the
->6.2 release was fairly stable, and the systems related stuff should all
->work fine, but we could have some problems with applications software
->(he is not familiar with modeling software).
->
->Has anyone else done this?  Does your modeling software still work?  Is
->it faster?  Were there any special things you had to do to get things
->to work?  Will I need to get/create another set of executables?
->
->I am most concerned about: Sybyl, Daylight, Gaussian94, Macromodel, 
->                           Catalyst, Spartan
->
->I will summarize any responses I receive...
->-------------------------------------------------------------
->                                      ("`-/")_.-'"``-._
->Wendy W. Richardson, Ph.D.            (. . `) -._    )-;-,_()
->Sr. Research Investigator             (v_,)'  _  )`-.\  ``-'
->Searle                                _;- _,-_/ / ((,'
->4901 Searle Parkway                 ((,.-'  ((,/
->Skokie, IL 60077                   [email-masked]
->
->
->---
->Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
->[email-masked]: Everybody | [email-masked]: Coordinator
->[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
->Anon. ftp: www.ccl.net   | [email-masked] -- archive search
->             Web: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html 
->---
->

+-----------------------+----------------------------+   
|     Joe Landman       | +1 810 848 4469  voice FH  |  
|   Systems Engineer    | +1 313 441 2200  voice DH  |
|                       | +1 313 441 6341  fax   DH  |
| Silicon Graphics Inc. |                            | 
|   24155 Drake Road,   |       [email-masked]      | 
|  Farmington MI 48335  |       Mail stop DMR 2204   |
+-----------------------+----------------------------+
 http://reality.sgi.com/landman_dearborn/landman.html