Subject: Biosym scripting language (was: Object-oriented means for computational chemistry programming)

From: Pieter Stouten <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 11:31:43 -0400

On 97/07/11 at 20:19 -0400, Mike Kotelyanskii wrote:

>That's actually what Biosym has been doing for last couple of years.
>Their script language was actually Tcl
>(if I am not mistaken...)
>
Discover's scripting language is TCL, but the regular Biosym scripting
language is an abomination called BCL (Biosym Control Language ?). The
syntax is not fully documented (kind of strange as there is a BCL
interpreter), nor does there seem to be anybody at MSI who has anywhere
near complete BCL knowledge. When we were still actively working on our
BForce implementation (the MSI version is known as Affinity), we ran into
many problems, most often related to parameter passing. It would have made
sense to change from BCL to TCL with specific Biosym extensions if it were
not for the fact that it can be expected (conjecture on my part) that over
time users will migrate from insightII to Cerius2 and, therefore, revamping
insightII does not make sense.

--

Pieter Stouten                              ||  There is more to life
Computer Aided Drug Design Group            ||
The DuPont Merck Pharmaceutical Company     || than avoiding litigation
P.O. Box 80500, Wilmington, DE 19880-0500   ||
Phone: +1 (302) 695 3515                    ||           --
Fax: +1 (302) 695 9090                      ||
Internet: [email-masked]          ||     Pieter Stouten
Web: http://www.halcyon.com/stouten/        ||