Subject: RE: Molecular Modeling Hardware

From: JANET CICARIELLO-COOK 57165 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:28:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone,

In response to Jeff Nauss's question:

>>So much of the commerical moelcular modeling software is availble (and in 
>>many
>>cases, exclusively) on Silicon Graphics.  Then one reads articles of SGI's
>>imminient demise.  They latest being
>>http://www.businessweek.com/1997/31/b35381.htm.
>>
>>Anyone have a feel for how the major commerical MM packages are dealing with
>>the issue?

I suggest you check out the SGI web site. They reported thier first billion 
dollar fiscal quarter ever. see:

http://www.sgi.com/Headlines/1997/July/Q4_results.html

While they did (do) have some problems, which seem to be turning around (even 
the businessweek article admits this), I  think "imminent demise" is a bit of 
an overreaction. 

Janet

*********************************************
*  Janet Cicariello-Cook, Ph.D.             *
*  Hoffmann-LaRoche, Inc.                   *
*  340 Kingsland St.                        *
*  Bldg. 76/3                               *
*  Nutley, NJ 07110                         *
*  ph: (201) 235-7165                       *
*  fax: (201) 235-7292                      *
*  e-mail: [email-masked]  *
*********************************************