Subject: AMD-K6/linux for G98

From: "Jerry C. C. Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:49:56 +0100 (MET)

Dear Netters,

We have a plan to get a linux box equipped with AMD-K6 for Gaussian 98
calculations.  However, it seems that the recommended blas library and
Portland Fortran compiler are optimized for Intel CPU only (I may be
mistaken saying so).  I would be grateful if anyone could share his/her
experience concerning the following thoughts
i. pay more money to buy Intel processor
ii. go on with our plan (assuming that the performance of Linux/AMDK6-G98 
won't be very different from Linux/IntelPII-G98)
iii. keep the AMD but switch to NT/G98W instead of linux/G98

Many thanks,
Jerry

******************************************************************
* Jerry Chun Chung CHAN                     [email-masked] *
* Universitaet Muenster	                phone: 0049-251-83-29156 *
* Institut fuer Physikalische Chemie    fax:   0049-251-83-29159 *
* Schlossplatz 4-7						 *
* D-48149 Muenster						 *
* Germany							 *
******************************************************************