Subject: summary : Is there a program capable of converting ps file to latex file

From: He Dayong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:41:31 -0800 (PST)

A few weeks ago I posted a question about converting ps file to latex
file, thanks a lot to the people who replied to my question. Here is my
original question:

	  On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Dayong He wrote: 

	  Hello, Everyone, 
	  I just wonder if there is a code capable of converting 
	  PostScript file to latex file and also extracting out the
	  figures in it. Thanks a lot in advance for your information.
	  Dayong

Based on the replies I recieved, it is not possible to do this job
directly in one step. The practical approach is to extract the
figures/pictures and the text in separate steps - convert ps file
text file, and extract the figures and pictures in it. All the replies are
listed below. Maybe we can scratch a short shell script to do it.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Dayong

PS: replies, date and senders' email addresses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1).Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:16:18-0500 (EST)  

Hi, He Dayong, 

As to my knowledge, there is a program called "ps2ascii" which could
transform a ps file into a text file. But you will lose the image
information. I remember there is a program called "ps2gif" which may
extract images from ps files, but it seems could only extract the first
image. So if the images are in different pages, you can just save them as
one page per ps file, and try to extract those images. 

Wei
[email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(2).Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:57:52 -0500 (EST)  

Please let me know if you obtained one; I personally do not think it is
even remotely possible.

Iraj Daizadeh, Ph. D.
[email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
(3) Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:54:06 -0800

Hi Dayong:  

Do you want to convert text files that you have in postscript to latex?
Postscript describes text on a much lower level (i.e., on the level of
single letters or word fragments) than latex and therefore knows nothing
about LaTex's structures like sections, references, environments. I don't
know what size of text you're thinking of, for a short one it is probably
easiest to just type it manually, for large text bodies there might be 
some semi-automated way using OCR software that is also able to guess the
structure from the layout. 

For extracting pictures, try - ps2epsi or pstoepsi: to convert single PS
pages to "encapsulated" PS pictures - xfig: to edit these - psselect: to
select single PS pages from a longer file. 

They are public domain, and you should find them on the web; let me know
if you have questions about that. 

Wolfgang Huber
[email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
(4). Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:03:15 +0000 (CUT)

Hello Dayong,

as I Know, there is no way to make a conversion, but you can use
\usepackage{epsfig,psfig}
in the header of a latex file and put the diseres postscript in with: 
\psfig{file=postscript_file.ps,width=17cm}
If you've got to make changes in the postscript file, you can use gimp
(www.gimp.org) to do that. 

Good luck

Alex
[email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
(5). Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:37:50 -0600 (CST)

Hi Dayong,

you can incorporate a postscript figure in a number of ways into a latex
document (see book below), but I know of no way to do the Postscript ->
Latex reaction. 

cheers,

Toni
[email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
(6). Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 00:37:04 -0400

Hello Dayong,

I work with latex by many years and I dont know some program that perform
the conversion postscript to latex but I suggest you to ask to the company
PCTEX that sell the latex program, the e-mail is: [email-masked] and the
phone number is (415) 388.8853 

Gloria
[email-masked]