Subject: Summary: Unix programs to plot energy maps

From: Luigi Cavallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:44:53 +0000 (GMT)

Well, the winner is gnuplot. Defenitely.

After a couple of hours and some example scripts from some of you (thanx)
I've been able to do exactly what I wanted. Neat!

Thanks to all of you out there. Below, the required summary.

Luigi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
GNUPLOT   http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/gnuplot_info.html

Graphic front end extensions to gnuplot

xgfe      http://www.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de/rechner/grafik/xgfe/xgfe.html)
kgnuplot  Under KDE (http://www.kde.org) kdenonbeta packages
kgplot    Under KDE, http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~lai/kgplot/kgplot.html

Nice tutorials, not only gnuplot but PlotMTV and Xmgr as well.

          http://nacphy.physics.orst.edu/DATAVIS/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Other programs + some comments (not mine)

PlotMTV   http://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu/plot-tools/plotmtv4.html).
          It's less powerful than gnuplot, but works pretty nice.               

contour3D ftp://ftp.univie.ac.at/systems/hpux/hpux/Maths/Misc/contour3D-3.0
          Although in that address there are binaries only for HP-UX, 
          the source code should be compiled on any Unix platform
          running X-Windows.

INTERCHEM http://interchem.chem.strath.ac.uk/inter/interprobe.html              
          has the sort of facilities you require. In connection with
          displaying protein structures, it will show the distribution of 
          torsion angles, phi and psi as a scatter plot of Ramachandran
          type. The INTERCHEM package runs exclusively on SGI platforms, 
          but is supplied with full source code, and should therefore be 
          capable of being ported to other UNIX platforms.
          The academic price for the package is 500 GBpounds or 750 Euros. 

OCTAVE    http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave
          It is a free Matlab-clone, so it is a programming language that 
          is useful to do things in a "quick and dirty" way. It uses gnuplot 
          as the main plotting engine, but people have written all sorts of 
          drivers to other graphics formats, e.g. VRML. 

VU        http://www.cerca.umontreal.ca/vu/

IBM-DX     http://www.almaden.ibm.com/dx/
           DX runs on 7 major UNIX platforms and on Intel-based PCs (Windows NT 
           and Windows 95) and is designed to take full advantage of multi-processor  
           systems from IBM, SGI and Sun. A fully-functional trial version with a 
           free enabling key is available.

DYANA      http://www.mol.biol.ethz.ch/wuthrich/software/
           Uses pdb files as input
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               Some other stuff, no comments.
PV-Wave 
AVS
MATHEMATICA
http://www.gnu.org/software/plotutils/plotutils.html
http://www-rocq.inria.fr/scilab
http://xfiles.llnl.gov/PyGraphics
http://root.cern.ch
http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Xmgr

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------