Subject: Re: CCL:CCL:Unix program to plot energy maps

From: Rick Venable <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 12:12:16 -0400 (EDT)

Tim Pearson's PGPLOT library is a set of Fortran and C callable routines
that are widely used in the astronomy community, and which has contour
labeling capability.  There are a number of programs which implement CLI
and GUI interfaces to the library, as well as APIs for Octave, PERL,
Python, TCL, and Yorick.  For details, see

	http://astro.caltech.edu/~tjp/pgplot/

I compiled the library easily under HP-UX, and there are also Linux
binary distribution packages for e.g. Debian and Redhat. 

CLI == command line interface
GUI == graphical user interface
API == application program interface

> > On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Luigi Cavallo wrote:
> > > I would like suggestions on programs that are able to plot iso-contours 
> > > of Z=Z(X,Y) like, for example, the energy vs. torsional angles in a
> > > Ramachandran plot.

> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Lev Gorenstein wrote:
> > There is a very nice and very powerfull program gnuplot
> > (http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/gnuplot_info.html).

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Guido Germano wrote:
> The problem with contour plots made with Gnuplot is that it doesn't
> label the isolines. So far I found only commercial programs able to do
> this under Unix (e.g. IDL, PV-WAVE, etc.).

--
Rick Venable                  =====\     |=|    "Eschew Obfuscation"
FDA/CBER Biophysics Lab       |____/     |=|
Bethesda, MD  U.S.A.          |   \    / |=|  ( Not an official statement or
[email-masked]  |    \  /  |=|    position of the FDA; for that,
http://www.erols.com/rvenable       \/   |=|    see   http://www.fda.gov  )