Subject: Re: CCL:Request SUN Share/Freeware Fortran Compiler

From: Jochen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:49:49 +0200

On Die, 07 Sep 1999 Victor Anisimov wrote:

>:>How can I obtain a Shareware or Freeware Fortran Compiler for SUN
>:>workstations?
>:
>:Look at any GNU ftp archive (e.g. ftp.gnu.org) and get gcc-2.95.1, it
>:contains a good FORTRAN 77 compiler.
>
>Dear Netters, let me add a few words on this question. I appreciate
>GNU enthusiasm in open-source FORTRAN 77 development but from 
>my experience it is still very crude FORTRAN compiler especially for non 
>x86 based platforms. On non x86 based platform (SUN is) one can compile
>only small fortran programs, but compilation of large programs like 
>MOPAC2000 will fail. It creates non-running executable on SUN Sparc.

I am using the new egcs/gcc-2.95 on my AlphaStation without any problems !
I am using it on an old SPARCclassic running Linux as well, no big stuff,
though.
And the compiler is in some regards more compatible and standard
conforming than vendor compilers.

Probably you should check you setup (binutils, libraries, e.g.) ? 

Or are there real problems with it on Sun platforms ? If so, have you
reported them to the developers ?

-- Jochen