Subject: Re: CCL:HYBRIDIZATION NOT "REAL";V. FOCK

From: "Paulo E. Abreu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:58:13 +0100

"Isaac B. Bersuker" wrote:

> Yes, you can: hybridization changes the charge distribution which is, in principle
> observable

Sorry to disagree (again) with you but I dont think that is a correct answer. Bonding
changes the charge
distribution not hybridization. Besides what do you mean by changing the charge
distribution ?
Comparing it with to the free atoms ? Orbital are models, and within these models we
can describe
chemical bonding with various approaches (MO or VB). Hybridization is only used in VB
theory, because
in MO the symmetry of the molecule plays an important role in determining the
coefficients of the orbitals.
Remember that to use hybrid-orbitals you must a priori know the geometry of the
molecule.
Paulo E. Abreu

--
Departamento de Quimica                      e-mail:[email-masked]
Universidade de Coimbra                      TEL:351 239 852080
3049 Coimbra Codex                           FAX:351 239 827703
Portugal