Subject: Summary: EPR for TM

From: Tomasz Borowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:17:15 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi All!

A month ago I posed the folowing question:

Does anyone know a good review paper (book, web site etc.) considering 
EPR phenomena for Transition Metal ions and their complexes? I'm mostly
interested in the theory of it.

I've got four answers, that I give below. I'd like to thanks all these
nice people who found time to respond.

Kind regards,

Tomek Borowski

1. Yang Fann wrote: 
You may find these books useful:
Abragam, A and Bleaney, B. (1970) "Electronic paramagnetic resonance of
transition ions". Clarson Press, Oxford 

"Transition Ion Electron Paramagnetic Resonance" by J.R. Pilbrow (1990),
Clarson Press, Oxford

2. Serguei Patchkovskii wrote: 
The classical (but still one of the very best) reference is:
A. Abragam and B. Bleaney, "Electron Paramagnetic Resonance of
Transition Ions", Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1970.
 
Another very good reference is:
W. Weltner Jr. "Magnetic Atoms and Molecules", Dover, New York, 1983.

The physicist's viewpoint on EPR theory is best covered by:
J.E. Harriman, "Theoretical Foundations of Electron Spin Resonance",
Academic Press, New York, 1978 

You may also find
http://www.cobalt.chem.ucalgary.ca/ps/posters/ to be of some interest.

3. Angelo Vargas wrote:
try 
"EPR of exchange coupled systems" Bencini, Gatteschi, Springer Verlag

4. Marketa Munzarova wrote:

I think there is not a good review on these calculations (there have not
been that many), but in our recent paper on the calculations of EPR
hyperfine coupling in TM complexes (*) we have given all references known
to us. I am also aware of some literature on the calculations of g-tensors
in TM systems.
                                    
* M. Munzarova nd M. Kaupp, J. Phys. Chem. A 1999, 103, 9966-9983.