Subject: Re: CCL:babel development?

From: Geoff Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:39:22 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Dr. Richard Wood wrote:
> David van der Spoel wrote:
>> Is anybody still actively developing/maintaining babel? The latest version
>> (1.6) seems to be from 1996.

Yes and no. I asked a very similar question a few months ago. Both Matt
Stahl and Pat Walters are assisting on a GPL'ed library called OELib, that
is essentially based on Babel. Matt said that at some point OELib should
probably be released as "Babel 2.0." At one point, there was a webpage at
<http://www.eyesopen.com/oelib/>

I use OELib in some of my work and it's pretty good and evolving 
relatively quickly. Hopefully it will soon have all the Babel translators
and then some.

> This is an interesting question, because Babel is SUPPOSED to be able to read
> CHARMM files as input, yet it doesn't. 

As someone who's written some file translators, it's hard to know what the
problem might be without example files.

Cheers,
--
-Geoff Hutchison
Northwestern Chemistry