Subject: Re: CCL:question of netiquette

From: Roy Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:25:14 -0800 (PST)

I often respond directly to the poster because they are the ones
interested; all of CCL does not need to see every reply. On topics that
might be of more general interest, I ask the poster to summarize to the
CCL. (Read: I am interested in the answer too.) The rules you specified
would reverse if the poster decides to post a summary and therefore be
difficult to apply. Furthermore, someone responding should expect to take
ownership and responsibility of their statements. Legally, an email is no
different than a mailed letter.

A simpler rule would be:
	Ownership of a statement is reported in summaries unless
	the owner explicitly requests to remain anonymous.

Roy Jensen

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Phillip Matz wrote:
> How about the following:
>
> 1) If the original CCL poster explicitly states they will post summaries
> then the replier (sp) will take it upon themselves to let the poster
> know if it is NOT ok to include their name in the posted summary
> (default assumption is to give credit to all posters; i.e. the burden of
> desiring and receiving privacy is then up to the person offering their
> idea)
>
> 2) If the original CCL poster does not state they will be posting a
> summary then the replier should post to the CCL directly (in which case
> they will receive "idea ownership"), but in the event that the replier
> communicates with the original poster via private email then the replier
> must indicate they desire idea ownership (i.e. the default assumption is
> the replier desires privacy) in the event the original poster is
> requested to post a summary.
>
> Yes? No? Suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Phil Matz

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Shobe, Dave wrote:
> I have uncertainties about that myself.  There is the arguement that people
> should get credit for their work/ideas, and there is the argument that
> privacy should be respected when the response comes from "person to person"
> e-mail.  The usual practice on CCL seems to be to include the names, but I'm
> not sure that's really the correct thing to do.