Subject: CCL needs your help...

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:38:00 -0500 (EST)

Dear Friends,

CCL is a good thing, and we should try to keep it alive and improve it.
Can you help me financially ? No help is too little help!!!

I will go straight to the chase and tell you how you can help before I tell
you why I need your help... (People who have money, often do not have time
to read lengthy motivational speeches {:-)}).

You can help me with donations (you will get a letter from OSU acknowledging
the donation for tax purposes).

You can also purchase our services (you will be billed as with other purchases
-- yes, we do accept purchase orders). We sell CCL archives on CDs for
250 USD. Please also advertise job openings on our server (it is only $100
-- see http://www.ccl.net/jobs for details). I am being told that job
service is really effective.

We can accept payment with a check, or MC/Visa, or wire transfer.
Make your checks payable to "CCL Development Fund" and send them to me.
If you want to charge it to credit card, call me, or send a FAX to:
"CCL Development Fund",  name on the card, address, MC or Visa, expiration,
amount of donation, and sign/date it. FAX number is: 614-688-3998.
This is a secure FAX in the OSC business office, and your Card Number is safe.
Ask me for details, and I will be happiest to tell you how to help me,
or you can click on [How can you support CCL] on our home page: www.ccl.net
and read all about it.

Do not be shy, you can buy several copies of CCL archives (they contain
complete content of our Web site) or subscribe to periodical updates.
If you give us a large donation, we will put a logo of your company on
a Web page of your choice with a link to your Web site as our way
of saying: Thank you.

Now... Why I need your help... OSC is VERY GENEROUS to allow CCL to run
under its roof and give us resources at no cost: bandwidth, space, and some
of my time. When you click on our pages, they load fast... The bandwidth
which we get from OSC for CCL is worth at least a $1000 a month. We also
have office space... and access to expertise and help. But OSC and all other
HiEd institutions in Ohio (and elsewhere) are going through the period
of fiscal conservatism (for the lack of better term).

Last week the Governor of the State of Ohio announced additional retroactive
budget cuts to Ohio Education. Ohio has a balanced budget constitution, and
if the income from taxes is lower than projected, we get budget cuts.
They tried to tax booze and smoke, but legislators said: "No new taxes".
So we are being cut. It is quite depressing... This is the second retroactive
budget cut this fiscal year. The Ohio Supercomputer Center is not spared
its share of current economic prosperity. These are cuts to our operational
budget, and you know what I am talking about...

You can imagine that I am quite busy lately with many things and looking for
some additional funding for my institution. The CCL needs your help.
I need students assistants to process the mail, to keep the list spam
free, to maintain hardware, software, and content, etc. We also constantly
struggle with security updates, crackers' attacks, exploits, backups, etc.
Keeping this thing running is time consuming and requires a lot of
attention to details. Someone has to do this, and although I am trying
to keep my sleep at minimum, I am simply running out of physical time,
and I need student assistants, and, at occasions, help of our system staff
at Ohio Supercomputer Center. My body just refuses to function with less
than 4 hours of sleep a day. I am getting old {:-(}.

When you click on [sponsors] link on CCL home page: http://www.ccl.net
you will see that I did not bug you for money lately {:-)}
I really hate to stick my hand out, but if this is the only way to keep CCL
running, I am gladly doing this... I will really appreciate your help, and
I am really thankful for everyone who helped me ever. Be assured that
your money is not wasted, and by helping CCL you help scores of people out
there who use our list and learn from it. You are also helping yourself,
since if you are reading this message, it means that you are on CCL and
that it is useful for you. Moreover, look at it this way... There are only
few research communities who were able to keep such forum running for
many years. Even when you do not need to contact the list, the fact that
you can contact thousands of computational chemists by sending a message
to [email-masked] makes you feel empowered. At least it should !!!

Thanks!!!

Jan

Jan K. Labanowski         |  phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center |  E-mail: [email-masked] 
1224 Kinnear Rd,          |  http://www.ccl.net/~jkl
Columbus, OH 43212-1163   |  http://www.ccl.net/    http://asdn.net/