Subject: Re: CCL:MD in high school

From: Sudhakar Pamidighantam <spamidig*at*ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:15:14 -0500

Did you notice http://chemviz.ncsa.uiuc.edu where there is a host 
curricular units for high school chemistry through computation.

Sudhakar.
At 08:44 AM 10/3/2003 -0700, Ray Merewether wrote:
>My local high school wants to add some computers to its chemistry 
>program.  The current intent is to buy several Apple  laptops.  I talked 
>to the chemistry teacher this morning about adding a computational 
>chemistry component, and particularly MD visualization, to the 
>curriculum.  We are close to the San Diego Supercomputer Center and all of 
>the biotech around Scripps Research Institute, so there is a lot of local 
>talent to draw on.  The school board wants to see a committee formed to 
>present justification for the purchase.
>
>I am a physicist/EE and only tangentially involved in CC. I've shown IR 
>mode simulations to kids as young as 11 with apparently good comprehension 
>when presented side by side with plastic ball and stick models.  What I 
>need from CCL is concise statements of tools that you use now that would 
>have greatly enhanced your high school chemistry experience.  Any examples 
>of CC resources being used in high schools would also be 
>useful.  Everything from pdb viewers up is fair game.
>
>
>
>-= This is automatically added to each message by the mailing script =-
>To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your Subject: line
>and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY*at*ccl.net
>
>Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to: CHEMISTRY-REQUEST*at*ccl.net
>HOME Page: http://www.ccl.net   | Jobs Page: http://www.ccl.net/jobs
>
>If your mail is bouncing from CCL.NET domain send it to the maintainer:
>Jan Labanowski,  jkl*at*ccl.net (read about it on CCL Home Page)
>-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+