Subject: Nov. 13-15 US-Russian Workshop on Bridging Atomic and Macroscopic Scales, Phoenix, AZ

From: "Dr. Jan K Labanowski" <jkl~at~ccl.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:14:07 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Subscribers,

Program is being finalized for the:

           US-Russian Workshop on Software Development (SWN2003)
                     Bridging atomic and macroscopic scales
                     for materials, process, and device design
                           November 13-15, 2003
                   Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, U.S.A.

                          http://asdn.net/swn2003

You are wholeheartedly invided to participate by your list coordinator.
If you would like to attend, please register at the Webside above.
Overview of the workshop follows. It may be quite convenient to
those who are also interested in attending Supercomputing 2003.

Jan

Workshop oberverview:

Computer modeling and simulation continues to have increasing
impact on process, material, and device design, eliminating a
significant amount of experimental work based on a trail-and-error
approaches and reducing the costs of the products and technologies.
However, incorporation of atomic and molecular scale information
into simulations of macroscopic systems remains a challenge.
Opportunities exist for the development of integrated software tools
that bridge the atomic and macroscopic scales, to enable solutions to
complex scientific and technological problems. This workshop will
bring together scientists and software designers who are working in
the area of process, material and device design on the atomic scale
with a particular focus on computation and predicting measurable
macroscopic characteristics. One goal of the workshop is to stimulate
an active collaboration and partnership between scientists and
software designers in developing the integrated tools and interfaces
between computer programs, which will allow the incorporation of
atomic-scale information in macroscopic simulations in an efficient
and reliable manner. Another aim of the workshop is to explore
opportunities for developing the expertise of scientists and engineers
in the US and Russia, former nuclear rivals, in the area of theoretical
material science to promote science, education and cooperation in
non-military technological areas.

Jan K. Labanowski         |  phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center |  E-mail: jkl~at~ccl.net
1224 Kinnear Rd,          |  http://www.ccl.net/~jkl
Columbus, OH 43212-1163   |  http://www.ccl.net/    http://asdn.net/