Subject: CCL:cooling needs

From: C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics <cjtan^at^OptimaNumerics.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:52:27 +0000 (UTC)

Marc,

> I need to stablish some kind fo relation between number of PC's running and
> the cooling needed for them (number of frigories). Can anyone help
> Thanks in advance

I don't think this is a simple question.  What kind of machines are
you putting in?  Are the rack-mounted?  How many CPUs in a single 1U
or 2U unit?  Who made the machines?  What is the air flow condition in
the room?  

There was a talk by Steve Smith (Dell) at ICCSA 2004 last month, that
illustrated some of the complexities of machine configuration in a
machine room.  He also covered the associated issue of efficiency of
code and the cost of computation.  The slides are available for
download at the conference web site:
http://iccsa2004.unipg.it/plenary/SteveSmith.zip

Kenneth Tan

P/S: This is not meant to be an advert for OptimaNumerics, but Steve
did mention OptimaNumerics in the presentation.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
C. J. Kenneth Tan, Ph.D.
OptimaNumerics Ltd.
E-mail: cjtan^at^OptimaNumerics.com      Telephone: +44 798 941 7838
Web: http://www.OptimaNumerics.com    Facsimile: +44 289 066 3015
-----------------------------------------------------------------------