QSAR - Ernest Grunwald

From: Lipnick.Robert-*-epamail.epa.gov
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 09:46:25 -0400

To My Friends of the International QSAR Society:

I just learned with sadness that Prof. Ernest Grunwald, Dept. of
Chemistry, Brandeis University, died on March 28th.

He is one of the pioneers in the theory behind linear free energy
relationships upon which Hansch-Fujita type QSAR correlations are based.

He was the first member of the Brandeis faculty to be elected to the
National Academy of Sciences, and author (with John Leffler) of the book
"Rates and Equilibria of Organic Reactions : As Treated by Statistical,
Thermodynamic, and Extrathermodynamic Methods," which has been reprinted
by Dover Books. More recently, he co-authored (with Russell H. Johnsen)
"Atoms, molecules, and chemical change."

Prior to his career at Brandeis, he was on the faculty of Florida State
University and at Bell Laboratories.

I was fortunate to know Ernie as my dissertation adviser.

Bob Lipnick
US EPA
Washington, DC