Re: QSAR - Modeling biological data

From: yvonne.c.martin
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:10:08 -0600

Dear QSAR members,

With respect to inactive compounds, I think that it is very important to
include them in your thinking. Otherwise you run the risk of making a very
wrong prediction.

If it is easy to see how they differ from the active compounds, then a
simple "outside the scope of the QSAR" will do. If not, then you must do
you best to include them. At a minimum they should be in the prediction
set. Another approach would be to use discriminant analysis or a related
approach to investigate what properties distinguish potent from weak and
inactive compounds. These same properties might or might not be those that
appear in a final QSAR. If you have a lot of data you might try to use a
modified regression program in which you include these compounds but set
the residual of observed vs fitted to be zero if the fitted value is
greater than 128.

Yvonne Martin

jjhuusko . mappi.helsinki.fi
Sent by: qsar_society-admin(0)accelrys.com
02/08/03 05:13 AM
Please respond to qsar_society