Re: QSAR - Cation-Pi interactions

From: Amiram Goldblum <amiram!^!vms.huji.ac.il>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:51:22 +0200

Dear Dr. Jones,

If you are using Molecular mechanics with MM (molecular mechanics)
force fields, there are no electrons involved and you can not
learn anything about orbital energies. Those can only be studied
by Quantum mechanics approaches. The issue of using semiempirical
vs. ab initio (and there are many options in each of them)
should primarily be determined by the "resolution" of the
experiments that you wish to compare to. I suspect that if
you wish to compare to biological results, try first some
semiempirical QM method such as those that may be found
in the MOPAC packages (AM1, PM3 etc..). You could
later try a QM/MM approach if you need to look at larger systems.

Good luck,