QSAR - Cation-Pi interactions

From: glj^infowest.com <glj]![infowest.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:28:10 -0600

Please help a novice. I am a neurologist who is trying to
learn to use computational chemistry for certain
applications in understanding drug action. I have been
experimenting with molecular dynamics to study the effects
of cations on the orbital energies of aromatic systems in
small molecules. Is this a valid approach? Is there a
superior approach? Are semi-empirical or ab initio, or DFT
methods capable/better for handling such "non-bonded"
interactions?

Sincerely,

GLJones, MD