RE: QSAR - Looking for a pKa Prediction Program

From: Mario Citra <citra^apollo.syrres.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 06:56:35 -0500

One method of predicting the macroscopic pKa's of multi-protic compounds
that is receiving some attention is through the use of the Ising
model. The Ising model is a statistical mechanical approach originally
developed to treat gas adsorption phenomena to solid surfaces. It has been
extended to describe the acid-base behavior of linear and non-linear
polyelectrolytes. In general its application has been limited to compounds
with a uniform type of functional group, but has also been extended to
treat more complex cases. The interested reader can view the following
references for greater detail:

1) Borkovec et al. Proc. Natl. Acad Sci. 94: 3499-3503 1997

available at http://www.clarkson.edu/~borkovec/daicic1.pdf

2) van Duijvenbode et al. Phys Chem Chem Phys 1: 5649-5652 1999

available at http://www.stanford.edu/~duijvenb/pccp.pdf

3) van Duijvenbode et al. Macromolecules 33: 46-52 2000.

available at http://www.stanford.edu/~duijvenb/macromolecules.pdf

4) Borkovec M. Langmuir 13:2608-2613 (1997).

  Available at http://www.unige.ch/cabe/borkovec/preprints.htm

Regards,
Mario J. Citra Ph.D.
Syracuse Research Corporation